Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Power of Water

So Saturday morning the kids and I left for Leilani McLaws's 3rd Birthday Party. The girls had a blast! On the way home I called Grant who was in a 6 hour long class. He begged me to give him an excuse to come home, like Troy breaking his arm or something. I told him I wish I had an excuse, but I didn't. However, when we walked into our home, this is what we found!





I called Grant right away. He answered and said, "Did Troy really break his arm?" My reply, "No, but how's this for a class ditching excuse?... Your ceiling just caved in!" Grant came right home.

The area that had fallen had already had water damage from the bad roof before we bought the house. After the first rain storm of the season, we noticed the spot looked a little damp. My father-in-law went up to check it out. He said he didn't notice any leaking from the roof and the heater was located right over the spot. I suggested it was condensation from the heater. Both Grant and FIL told me it couldn't be from that, because heaters don't produce water, just A/C's.

Saturday morning, as we were getting ready to leave, Abby noticed a big puddle of water on the floor. We then looked up to find water dripping from the ceiling. It hadn't rained in over a week, and the heater had been running that morning. I called and left a message with MIL to tell FIL that I was pretty sure it was coming from the heater. But that it probably wasn't a big deal. The heater had stopped running. HA! Pretty silly that I didn't think a little water was such a big deal. It's amazing the power just a cup or so of water has.

When Grant got home we went up to the attic and noticed a PVC pipe coming out of the heating unit that had water in it. It looked like when the heater was put in, they didn't seal that area up very well. I called the HVAC guys first thing Monday morning, and they came right over and fixed it. So there Grant and FIL, I guess heaters DO produce water!

14 comments:

Karen Lewis said...

Did they fix the ceiling, too? OR just the heater? That is so funny, only it's not. How is everything now? Was that in the Family Room? Great pictures!

Brandon and Amber said...

Oh so sad! We know all about floods and water damage, so I hope that you got everything fixed okay.

It's so great to see pictures of you and your family--I can't believe how big Abby is! Keep the pictures coming!

Marla said...

CRAZY! I can't believe that! I hope you get it fixed soon!

Grant and Stacy said...

They just fixed the heater. We were already planning on fixing the ceiling, so when we get around to it. Until then it will be pretty cold in the family room!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were right Stac. You should be right, the girl is always right :)

Mother Goose said...

Wow! What a bummer. Why do those big things always happen right after you buy a house??

Grant and Stacy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marnie said...

What a mess. I guess that's one bonus of still renting. We're not responsible for things like that. I'm so sorry!

FOODIE said...

Don't you just love it when U R right? Unfortunately, no one can stand arguing with me long enough to figure out when I am!

FOODIE said...

BTW...Abby is gonna have a complex one day when she realizes she is cut out of the family picture!

Anonymous said...

hi stacy,

i have been coming around reading your blog, but i'm not sure if i've ever commented. it seemed like high time! and nothing makes me cringe more than water damage, since we are just recovering from a sewage flood in our place. hope you didn't lose too much stuff...other than the ceiling (and who really needs that?)

love, larson

Linda Clark said...

One day we went out the front door of the house, and the huge tree in front was blown over, leaning against the house. Well, Dick managed to come home from school that day to clean up. He didn't have any time later in the day because he had a meeting to go to! Naturally....

Macdonalds said...

That's awful! I hope it all gets fixed for you guys soon!

Brandon and Amber said...

So Brandon had his facebook page open on the computer and I saw he was friends with you, so I took a peek at your page and saw that you are pregnant! Congrats! Boy you guys sure do know how to pop them out, huh? Can't wait to see pictures of your growing belly!